Roswell is a great town within Atlanta metro area with historical downtown and plenty of things to do for the whole family. Today we are so excited to learn more about the fun summer time activities for kids in Roswell shared by Lori Brown.
Lori is the Family Travel Editor for Expedition Mom, a family-travel website specializing in experiential “KNOW before you go” Adventure Guides and City itineraries.
5 Summer Activities for Kids in Roswell, Georgia
1. Roswell Summer Puppet Series
Did you think you had to go ITP to see plays and puppet productions?
The Roswell Summer Puppet Series, located in the Cultural Arts Center adjacent to the Library, carries the most bang for your buck this summer. Priced at just $5 for kids and $6 for adults, this yearly series is tailored to entertain and engage the youngest of theater goers. Three different engagements are available now through July 20, with daily shows Monday through Saturday. Check Roswell Government website for shows and times.
2. Dessert Date night/afternoon
Are you thinking that a nice dinner out with the kids might lead you to banging your head against the wall?
Try a dessert date night. Kid-friendly doesn’t have to mean adult-deprived. After dinner at home, let them put on their best and enjoy a ‘grown-up’ night out that doesn’t involve pizza, video games, and a large animatronic mouse.
Historic downtown Roswell has several unique options, right on Canton Street, for an after dinner treat:
– Grab picnic style seating at Nine Street Kitchen, complete with blankets, lawn chairs, sidewalk chalk, and hoola-hoops. Split a piece of cake or pie and enjoy the feel of Americana. This is one my family’s favorite Sunday afternoon treats- great people watching.
– The Pie Hole is yumminess served up in a barn. Not much here other than pie, vanilla ice cream, milk, and coffee. But really, do you need anything else??
3. Roswell Spraygrounds
Kids + Water = Fun! This is a universally accepted equation. Often times it means parents who cannot relax, due to having to be on guard for water safety. Enter the spray ground- a mom’s answer for relaxed water fun.
At just $1 a person, this economical choice has two locations available for Roswell families: Riverside Park and East Roswell Park. Both parks have adjacent playgrounds and picnic areas.
Be sure to check their schedule as both spraygrounds are closed one day during the week for maintenance.
For other part of town, you can also check out our guide to spraygrounds and splash pads in Atlanta.
4. FREE movies and concerts at Riverside Park
Pack a picnic dinner, blanket, and lawn chairs. The vast grass oval at Riverside Park is your family VIP seating area. Flanked by playgrounds on both sides and restrooms directly behind you, the priorities are all right there.
The first Saturday evening of each month, through October, brings a different genre of music- jazz, ragtime, latin, big band, soul, and southern rock.
Movies Under the Stars will present ‘Rise of the Guardians’ on Saturday, July 20, 2013. See the schedule of events for more information.
5. Naturalist-led canoe trip down the Chattahoochee River
You can’t mention activities in Roswell without bringing up the Chattahoochee River. From playgrounds by the water, ducks and geese to feed, and fishing on the riverbank- there are a multitude of options to enjoy our winding neighbor.
By far my family favorite has been a canoe trip hosted by the Chattahoochee Nature Center. For ages 6 and up, a naturalist will lead you from the banks of the CNC river walk on an educational and inspiring paddle. Chance sightings range from amazing riverfront houses, cliffs, old abandoned roadways, a swan, and other wildlife.
For younger members of the family CNC also has other programs, such as their Pee-Wee naturalist series, which is geared towards 3 and 4 year olds.
See also Summer Fun Guide in Atlanta
Also don’t miss out on other fun things to do in Atlanta with kids this summer. See other guides below:
- Ultimate Guide to Summer Fun in Atlanta
- 120 Ways to Summer Fun in Atlanta
- Cheap Summer Movie Series in Atlanta
- FREE Outdoor Movies in Atlanta
- FREE Outdoor Concert Series in Atlanta
- Kids Skate Free in Atlanta
- Kids Bowl Free in Atlanta
- Blueberries Picking in Atlanta
- Farmers Markets in Atlanta
- 4th of July Fireworks & Celebration in Atlanta
Photo credit: Expedition Mom