Last month, we spent our weekend at each of the kids favorite museums before school started. Miss J chose Imagine It! and Mr. Z couldn’t be happier when we pulled into the parking lot of the Southeastern Railway Museum on Sunday.
You would have thought that we would probably have a membership at this museum already since Mr. Z was such a big train fanatic. But this was our first time visiting this cool place. It doesn’t look much from the parking lot but once we got out of our car we couldn’t run fast enough to chase after Mr. Z.
The Southeastern Railway Museum is located in Duluth and it is a real hand-on museum that allows you to explore the real trains from different period.
- On-Site Train Ride: It wouldn’t be a real train museum experience if we didn’t get to ride a train, would it? The train ride was short but it was good enough to satisfy train enthusiastic boys. Kids can choose to sit in the restored caboose or the converted open-air freight cars.
- Explore vintage trains: We walked up and down the vintage train ranging from private sleeping car, kitchen car, diner car or even refrigerated car. The cars are all original so you get the experience with all your senses especially the sense of smell. 🙂
- Model train in the small artifact exhibit: Inside the small artifact exhibit, kids are glued to the model trains that show fictional, 1900s north Georgia community complete with industries.
Overall, we truly enjoyed the experience. The museum is small enough that you can probably complete within a couple hours. There are picnic area that you can bring your lunch to enjoy next to the train track. There is also a rental train car that you can rent for a party.. I could see that in our near future.
- Pack snack or lunch for a picnic at one of several picnic tables available
- Pick up the brochure at the gate before entering for a one free children admission coupon (when accompanied by a paying adult)
Southeastern Railway Museum Information:
Address: 3595 Buford Hwy, Duluth, GA 30096
Fee: Adult – $8, Children (2-12) – $4, Children (2 and under) – FREE
Don’t miss out on Fun events around Atlanta. Subscribe to Atlanta With Kid’s RSS feed.